Call Us Today! +65 6338 1810|
Home/Glossary Divorce and Family

Glossary on Singapore Divorce, Nullity, Separation, Adoption and Family Law

Final Judgment


The Parties to a divorce proceedings must wait until the Court has dealt with all the ancillary matters in your divorce, or for three months, whichever is later, before you can apply for a Certificate of Making Interim Judgment Final, or Final Judgment.

A party can only remarry after he or she has obtained Final Judgment.

Final Judgment2016-02-09T15:10:16+08:00



The country in which legal proceedings will proceed. A party needs a certain connection with a country before that country can deal with the case. This may be based on habitual residence, nationality, domicile, an agreement or other factors.


Habitual residence


The country in which a person has established the permanent or habitual centre of his interests. This is usually the country where the person lives or spends the majority of his time. This term is also subject to varying interpretation.

Habitual residence2016-11-01T01:14:30+08:00

Interim Judgment


When a Judge of the Family Court grants your divorce, he or she will hand down an Interim Judgment. This is the end of the first stage of your divorce proceedings. 

The Interim Judgment does not settle issues about the children, property or maintenance. Issues about the children, property and maintenance are known as ancillary matters.

Interim Judgment2016-02-09T15:06:40+08:00

Lex Fori


The technical term for when a country applies its own local law.

Lex Fori2016-03-19T13:18:39+08:00

Lump sum


On divorce, nullity or judicial separation, the court can make an order that one party pay the other a lump sum or that one party pay the other a lump sum for the benefit of a child or children of the family.

Lump sum2016-03-19T13:15:35+08:00



In the context of family, maintenance (also known as periodical payments) comprises regular income payments to support a former spouse, a child or dependant parent.


Matrimonial home


The house that a married couple occupy together, as their main home.

Matrimonial home2016-02-09T16:45:37+08:00

Matrimonial property


Generally speaking, all property acquired by the parties after the marriage, unless it is non-matrimonial property. Non-matrimonial property is usually property inherited by a party or received by that party as a gift, as well as pre-marital property.

Matrimonial property2016-02-09T16:46:25+08:00

Non-matrimonial property


Property that is unlikely to be shared between the parties on the breakdown of the marriage or civil partnership unless it is required to meet needs. Generally non-matrimonial property is:

  • Acquired by one party before the marriage
  • Acquired by one party by gift
  • Inherited by one party
Non-matrimonial property2016-02-09T16:47:16+08:00

Loh Eben Ong LLP

Using Loh Eben Ong's Singapore legal services is extremely simple.

Changing your name

Do you know it is easy to change your name? You need a Deed Poll signed in the presence of a Singapore Lawyer. You can get a quote and submit online at
Go to Top